Hours & Contacts
Policies & Procedures
1923 - 1970
|Walter Williams, 1930 - 1935
After being Dean of the school of Journalism since its founding in 1908 and also serving time on the Board of Curators, Walter Williams led the university for five years. His main achievement was maintaining the integrity of the University during the fiscally dire period of the Great Depression.
Walter Williams Hall, which houses several School of Journalism departments, is named in his honor.
|Frederick Middlebush, 1935 - 1954
Middlebush oversaw the enrollment boom in the fall of 1946, when the student body jumped to 5,000 from the previous year's 1,500. Enrollment in the fall of 1947 reached more than 11,000.
Middlebush Hall, home to the College of Business and Public Administration, is named in his honor.
|Elmer Ellis, 1954 - 1963
Ellis saw the need to better serve students in the two largest cities in Missouri, St. Louis and Kansas City. Under his leadership the University became a four-campus institution and the main campus in Columbia officially became known as the University of Missouri-Columbia.
Ellis became president of the administrative arm of this new organization, named the University of Missouri System, until his retirement in 1966. Ellis Library, the largest research facility in Missouri, is named in his honor.
|John W. Schwada, 1964 - 1970
John Schwada was the first Chancellor of the University of Missouri-Columbia, after the University became part of the four-campus University of Missouri System in 1963.
Elmer Ellis and John Weaver were UM System Presidents during this time.
Search our Holdings