Hours & Contacts
Policies & Procedures
The University Archives Reading Room is located in Room 703 of Lewis
Hall on the campus of the University of Missouri-Columbia. For directions
and a map, please follow this link: map.
The Reading Room is where researchers can view materials they have requested
from the various collections held by the University Archives.
In addition to reading tables, the Reading Room provides a VHS and DVD player to allow
researchers to view VHS tapes and DVD media found in the collections and a light table
to view photographic negatives. Also available to patrons is a 16 mm film viewing table.
Researchers wishing to view VHS tapes and 16 mm films may do so only when a University Archives staff member is available to assist the researcher. Viewing times will be dictated by staff availability. We are currently unable to provide viewing access to the other moving image formats (e.g., Betacam, 35 mm film) occasionally found in the holdings of University Archives.
A photocopier is available in the Reading Room. Photocopies, however,
can only be made by Archives' staff. For additional information about
photocopying archival material (including cost), please see the following
web page: photocopying.
Other resources found in the Reading Room include:
A personal computer with access to the University Archives' online
finding aids and collection guides as well as the MU Libraries' online
The Vertical Files that contain reference materials on subjects related
to the University Archives' collections. For a list of the folders
available in the Vertical File, please follow this link: Vertical
The most recent publications of the University of Missouri Press
that concern the University of Missouri or the State of Missouri.
The following reference books and other publications: Please follow
for a list of reference books and other materials available in the
Please note the following rules concerning use of the Reading Room:
- To use the Reading Room, patrons should have their University or other
photo identification available.
- Before using any archival materials, patrons must sign the Registration
Book and read and sign a Rules of Use form.
- Patrons are asked to familiarize themselves with the guidelines for
the careful use of collections laid out in the Rules of Use form.
- No food or drink is allowed in the Reading Room.
- All personal belongings are to be placed on or near the coat rack.
- Only notebooks, pencils, tape recorders, typewriters and personal
computers are allowed on the research tables.
- Notes should be taken only in pencil so that archival material will
not be damaged by ink.
- The patron is supplied with and must wear white-cotton gloves when
handling fragile paper, photographs, negatives, or slides.
- Materials must be reviewed in the Reading Room and cannot be checked
- Only one box is allowed on the table at a time.
- No material will be removed from a file unless authorized by Archives'
- Individual leaves are to be kept in original order within file folders.
- All document photocopying will be done by an Archives' staff member.
Search our Holdings