Hours & Contacts
Policies & Procedures
Record Group: 1 C
Record Sub-Group: 39
Records Title: UMC; Administration; Office of Campus Facilities; Administrative Records
Volume: 104 and 1/3 cubic feet, 130.41 linear feet
Scope and Content Note
This Sub-Group contains records of the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities. Included in this Sub-Group are correspondence, administrative records, reports, key inventories, blueprints, contracts, project manuals, specifications, warranties, guarantees, roof bonds, photographic material, drawings, Physical Plant Annual Reports, Campus Disaster Plans, regulations, maps, MU campus planning documents, and microform copies of duplicate Campus Facilities Archives holdings.
The UMC Office of Campus Facilities has undergone several name changes over time. Originally, it was known as Buildings and Grounds. In 1951, its name changed to Physical Plant. In 1979, it became the Office of Facilities Management. The current title, Office of Campus Facilities, was adopted in 1982.
Series 1 - C:1/83/1 (A84-84)
This Series contains records of the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1933-1978). Included in this Series are correspondence, building reports, key inventories, blueprints, warranties, guarantees, and roof bonds. Topics include remodeling, renovation, maintenance and safety inspections, rental property, utility surveys, razed buildings, and building deficiencies.
(8 c.f., 017413, 017414, 017415, 017416, 017417, 017418, 017419, 017420)
Series 2 - C:1/83/5
This Series contains records of the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1934). Included in this Series is a copy of the report entitled Partial Report of C.W.A. Projects at the University of Missouri for the Period December 1, 1933, to February 15, 1934. This report was compiled by the MU Physical Plant Department and summarizes work accomplished in improving campus buildings and grounds as a result of the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) funding. Projects summarized include classroom renovations, barn repair, road grading, pond improvement, construction of erosion control dams, fence construction and improvement, power line repair, shrubs and bushes planted, sidewalks laid, and construction of the Rollins Field gate. Also included in this Series are photographs of some C.W.A. projects.
(1 Pkg., 101, 6)
Series 3 - C:1/83/4 (A85-7)
This Series contains administrative records of the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1944-1980). Included in this Series are correspondence, air pollution reports, power plant reports, maps, blueprints, contracts, agreements, regulations, lists of buildings, and lists of architects. Topics in the Series include bicycling on the UMC campus, bird control, status of structures, expenditures for buildings, improvements done under the federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) and Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.), City of Columbia easements, energy conservation and management, handicapped accessibility, hazardous materials, insurance, water supply, Swallow Hall renovations, relations with labor unions, and use of Flat Branch Creek as a green belt and learning area.
(8 c.f., 014919, 014920, 014921, 014922, 014923, 014924, 014925, 014926)
Note to Archivist: The box lists for this Series are available online. They can be accessed by following this link.
Series 4 - C:1/83/3 (A85-01)
This Series contains blueprints and architects drawings created for the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1946-1960). Included in this Series are mechanical blueprints, electrical blueprints, and architects drawings of men's temporary dormitories as well as for conversion of Army training camp buildings into temporary classroom space and conversion of a W.P.A. building into a temporary study hall.
(TU - 65, 66, 67)
Series 5 - C:1/83/2 (A85-05)
This Series contains records of the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (ca. 1940-1970). Included in this Series are correspondence, photographs, and drawings of campus buildings as well as of special constructions (such as commencement set-ups and annual roadblock sign set-ups). Also included in this Series are Physical Plant Annual Reports (1949-1966) and Campus Disaster Plans (1958-1963).
(1 and 1/3 c.f., UMLD1)
Series 6 - C:1/83/7
This Series contains records of the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1981-1983). Included in this Series are reports, planning documents, and recommendations relating to projects and concerns such as the pedestrian campus, vehicular circulation and parking, restoration of Jesse Hall, changes to Red Campus and White Campus open spaces, Ellis Library, and the Law building. Also included in the Series are documents pertaining to plans for the Student Recreation Center, the Reynolds Alumni Center, the Hospital and Clinics surgery suite renovation, and a zoning study for the UMC Teaching Hospital.
(1/6 c.f., UMLD1)
Series 7 - C:1/83/6 (A87-71; A87-102)
This Series contains architectural drawings and blueprints made for the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1901-1953). Included in this Series are architectural drawings and blueprints of destroyed or razed UMC campus buildings.
Series 8 - C:1/83/10
This Series contains records created by the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1958-2016). The records consist of project manuals and specifications for both new construction and renovation of existing facilities. Projects include the Donald W. Reynolds Alumni Center, the Ellis Fischel Cancer Center, Stankowski Field House, Brewer Field House, Pickard Hall, Townsend Hall, Engineering East, Middlebush Hall, Agriculture Building, Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute, Virginia Avenue Residence Hall Group, Mizzou Arena, Brady Commons, RADIL facility, Technology Incubator facility, Mid-Campus Housing, Veterinary Clinic Building, (1959), and others. A few of the manuals are for non-Columbia Campus sites.
(74 c.f., Follow this link for box locations)
Note to Archivist: Some manuals are in digital format.
Note to Researcher: For specific projects please contact the Reference Archivist. These project manuals contain "directives for all aspects of construction projects...[that] are organized into booklets submitted by the primary design consultant." Various drafts of the manuals are submitted beginning with the design stage up to the point that the project is sent out to bid contractors or, if major changes are made, until the actual construction itself.
Series 9 - C:1/83/15 (A01-84; A15-35)
This Series contains microform building records created by the University of Missouri-Columbia Office of Campus Facilities (1892-1991). The records consist of aperture cards and jacketed film (both 16 and 35 mm) of architectural and engineering drawings and contract records. Drawings are of original construction, additions, and renovations. Contract records may include studies, building specifications, and equipment and contractor submittals.
(4 1/4 c.f.: 17 shoeboxes, 141, 5)
Note to Researcher: This Series consists of duplicate holdings of the Campus Facilities Archives. Not all buildings and projects are included. To access the complete collection, contact the Building and Infrastructure Archives located in the General Services Building.
Note to Archivist: The box lists for this Series are available online. They can be accessed by following this link.
This Series was changed from C:1/83/NP to C:1/83/15 in August 2009.
Series 10 - C:1/83/11 (A03-89)
This Series contains records from Space Planning and Management's Building and Infrastructure Archives, (1956-1977). The records consist of Missouri State Highway Commission road proposal plans and drawings for College Avenue and Stadium Road, (n.d.) and survey and benchmark books for various Columbia campus building projects.
(2/3 c.f.: 1 OSB, B3A, B4, 3)
Series 11. - C:1/83/12 (A06-09)
This Series contains records created and received by the Building and Infrastructure Archives in the Office of Space Planning and Management, (ca. 1991). The records consist of reference copies of floor plans for all buildings on the University of Missouri-Columbia campus.
(1 c.f., 055985)
Series 12. - C:1/83/13 (A07-47)
This Series contains records created or received by the Office of Space Planning and Management, (1990-1993). The records consist of plans and drawings for the Veterinary Clinic addition to Clydesdale Hall.
(9 rolls: 864, 865, 866, 867, 868, 869, 870, 871, 872)
Note to Researcher: The Office of Space Planning and Management has been under the control of various administrative units, including Campus Facilities and the Office of the Provost.
Series 13. - C:1/83/14 (A09-09)
This Series contains building plans created by the Department of the Physical Plant, (1951-1965). The plans are diazotype and represent the following buildings across the MU campus: Agricultural Building; Agricultural Engineering Building; Agricultural Engineering Laboratory; Agricultural Laboratory; Animal House; Art Building [Fine Arts Building]; Arts and Science Building; Athletic Dressing Room; Beef Cattle Barn; Blair Group; Business and Public Administration Building [Middlebush Hall]; Central Food Stores; Chapel; Connaway Hall; Conservation Building (TD-7); Crowder Hall; Curtis Hall (Biochemistry); Dobbs Group; East Dorms; Eckles Hall; Education Building (Townsend Hall); Electrical Engineering Building [Engineering West]; Engineering Building - East; Engineering Laboratories; Field House; General Services Building; Gentry Hall; Geology Building; Golf Course Clubhouse; Greenhouses; Gwynn Hall; Hill Hall; Industrial Education Building; Jesse Hall; Jesse Hall Auditorium; Johnston Hall; KOMU-TV Building; Lefevre Hall; Library [Ellis Library]; Livestock Pavilion; Loeb Group; Low Level Counting Research Facility; McAlester Hall; Meat Laboratory; Mechanic Arts and Civil Engineering Laboratory; Medical Science Building; Memorial Union; Mumford Hall; Music and Drama Building [Fine Arts Building]; Neff Hall; Noyes Hospital; NROTC Building; Nurses' Dormitory; Observatory; Old Chemistry Building [Pickard Hall]; Parker Hall; Pershing Group; Professional Building; Psychology Animal Research Building; Reactor Building; Read Hall; ROTC Stable Area; Rothwell Gym; Schlundt Hall; Schweitzer Hall; Sociology Building; Stanley Hall; Storerooms; Student Commons; Student Health Center; Swallow Hall; Swimming Pool; Switzler Hall; Tate Hall; Teaching Hospital; Temporary Buildings; Veterinary Clinic Building; Veterinary Science Building; Walter Williams Hall; Waters Hall; Whitten Hall; Wildlife Building; Women's Gym [McKee Gym].
(1 OSB, 725, 1, Top)
Note to Researcher: More information on each plan in this Series can be found by looking at the plans and blueprints finding aid and searching under "C:1/83/14".
Note to Archivist: The plans in this Series were received from Special Collections in Ellis Library at the University of Missouri-Columbia. The plans had been bound with plywood and linoleum boards and added into the library catalog. The plans were removed from the Ellis Library holdings and sent to University Archives in February 2009.
Series 14. - C:1/83/16 (A09-64; A11-08; A12-06; A12-69)
This Series contains records created and received by the University of Missouri's Campus Facilities' Communications Department, (1939-2010, bulk 1980-2000). The records consist of photographic prints, slides, negatives, and digital images depicting various aspects of the University of Missouri Columbia campus, including campus buildings, construction, master plans, and Campus Facilities' events. The Series also contains production files for a number of projects created by the Communications Department, (1994-2007), including the University of Missouri Campus Master Plan, presentations, and other printed and duplicated materials, such as the Applause Holiday Celebration, calendars, Campus Facilities Employee Handbook, Building Coordinator Handbook, Energy Extravaganza, and the newsletter Facilities Focus. Series 14 also contains video tapes (VHS and 8mm) of campus construction projects, promotional material, and Campus Facilities events.
(8 and 2/3 c.f.: 2 c.f., B3A, 7A, 5 Back; 4 c.f., B3A, 7A, 6; 1/3 c.f., B3A, 7A, 5 Front; 1/3 c.f., B3A, 7B, 1 Front; 1 c.f., B3A, 7B, 6; 1 c.f., B3A, 7C, 6; 2 Rolls, 126857)
Note to Researcher: Some of the records in Series 14 were given to University Archives upon the retirement of long-time Campus Facilities spokesman Philip Shocklee in 2009.
Note to Archivist: The box lists for this Series are available online. They can be accessed by following this link. Electronic records are available for this Series.
Series 15. - C:1/83/17 (A14-59)
This Series contains photographic prints received by the Building and Infrastructure Archives in the Office of Space Planning and Management, (ca. 1925). The photographs (8x10 inches), are of the construction of Tate Hall and include two prints of the completed structure. A number of the prints are embossed by the photographer J. F. Barnham of Columbia, Missouri.
(1 FF, B3A, 7B, 3 Small Holdings Box Photographs 1)
Note to Researcher: The photographs came to the Building and Infrastructure Archives from the general contractor, J. J. Wuellner Construction, of Godfrey, Illinois. Relevant correspondence is included in the Series.
Series 16. - C:1/83/18 (A16-20)
This Series contains administrative and other records created and received by Campus Facilities' Office of Planning, Design, and Construction, (1988-1995). The records consist of log books, manuals, and photographic prints, negatives, and slides for various projects, including the construction of Lee Hills Hall, (1994), and the installation of sod turf in Memorial Stadium, (ca. 1994).
(1 c.f., 117481)
Note to Archivist: The box list for this Series is available online. It can be accessed by following this link.
Search our Holdings