- 1939: The first NCAA Tournament was played.
- 1956: Alfred Abram was the first African-American awarded an athletic scholarship
- 1977: The first post-season Big 8 Tourney. Previously the tournament was
played before the season began. It was called the Holiday Tournament which
had begun in 1946.
- 1978, 1982, 1987, 1989, 1991, and 1993: years MU won the Big 8 Tournament.
- 1980-83: years MU won four straight Big 8 titles.
- 5: number of alumni that have come back to coach (Craig Ruby 1920-1922;
George Bond 1922-1926; George Edwards 1926-1946; Norm Stewart 1967-1999; and Kim Anderson 2014-2017).
- 23: longest away game winning streak from 1921 to 1923; broken by the Kansas
City Athletic Club.
- 34: longest homecourt winning streak from 1988 to 1990; broken by Arkansas.
- 634: number of games Coach Stewart has won in 32 years at MU. He won more
games for MU than were won from 1907 to 1967 (630).
- 1,106: number of games Norm Stewart has coached. 28 other coaches in
NCAA history have coached more.
- 1,127 played at MU involved Stewart as a player,
assistant, and coach.
- MU has played KU in 267 games (as of February 2012). KU has won the majority
with 172 to MU's 95.
- Tigers Thru the Hoop
- Coaches of the Hardwood
- Places Tigers Play
Sources: Savitars; www.ncaa.org;
"Big Eight Basketball, Celebrating a Tradition, 1907-1996" VHS tape;
Missouri Basketball Yearbook 1999-2000; University of Missouri-Columbia Buildings
Inventory Form; "Seven Students of Old M.S.U. Started First Tiger Basketball
Team Twenty-One Years Ago" The Missourian Magazine February 4, 1928; University
of Missouri News Service April 2, 1934; Gary Filbert of the Show-Me State Games
Copyright © Curators of the University of Missouri 1997 - 2002
Published by: University Archives muarchives.missouri.edu/
Originally Prepared by Emily McIlvoy: March 2001
Revised: 18 August 2017
An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.
DMCA and other copyright information.