OSF 1-B23, MC
Record Group: 3 C
Scope and Content Note
This Record Sub-Group contains two black and white prints made from originals by photographer Andy Tau and one negative of the Hudson Mansion. In 1955, after serving a year as Assistant University Photographer and two years as University Photographer, Tau became the photographer for the College of Agriculture and the Agricultural Experiment Station at the University of Missouri. One print in this Sub-Group depicts Waters Hall and adjacent grounds, in a soft focus. The second print in the Sub-Group is a winter view of the College of Agriculture Dean's Residence, ca. 1959. The negative contains the image of the Hudson Mansion shown in the 1885 University of Missouri Catalogue.
The first house used as the College of Agriculture Dean's Residence, known as the "Hudson Mansion" was on a tract of 183 acres once owned by William W. Hudson. This remained the Dean's residence from 1878 until it was destroyed by fire, in 1897. The Mansion was replaced by a smaller, frame house in 1898. It, in turn, burned on 02/09/1908. The third house (depicted in the print described below) was built of native limestone by Cope and Stewardson Architects. It was used as the Dean's Residence until 1960 when the Board of Curators ceased to furnish a house for the Dean. This structure was torn down in 1961 and the Bingham group of student residence halls was built on the site. All three houses used as the Dean's Residence were built on the same foundation.
ITEM 1 - Print: Waters Hall and adjacent grounds
ITEM 2 - Print: College of Agriculture Dean's Residence, ca. 1959
ITEM 3 - Negative: Hudson Mansion shown in the 1885 University of Missouri Catalogue, 1885
An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.
DMCA and other copyright information.