Record Group: 0 C
Record Sub-Group: 49
Records Title: UMC; University General; Miscellany; Building Artifacts
Volume: 2 cubic feet, 2.5 linear feet
Scope and Content Note
This Record Sub-Group contains artifacts of buildings on the University of Missouri-Columbia campus. The items were received from a variety of sources, including Special Collections in Ellis Library.
Series 1. - C:0/45/2 (A04-88)
This Series contains a building brick thought to stem from Old Academic Hall, (ca. 1840), as well as correspondence about its provenance.
(1/3 c.f., UMDL1)
Note to Researcher: This item was received from Special Collections in Ellis Library. Correspondence associated with the item indicates the brick was found by Graduate Dean and Vice Provost for Research Don H. Blount in 1982 during construction work around the Columns on the Francis Quadrangle.
Series 2. - C:0/45/4 (A12-62)
This Series contains pieces of the Tiger Spot mosaic by Paul Jackson that was installed in Lowry Mall in 2001. The mosaic was removed in May of 2012 due to its deteriorating condition. The Series also includes a printout of an aerial view of Lowry Mall with the mosaic installed.
(1/3 c.f., Ellis)
Note to Researcher: More information about the Tiger Spot mosaic is available in the University Archives's reference files. Please contact a staff member of University Archives for access to these resources.
Note to Archivist: The pieces of the mosaic were given to University Archives by Pat Jones, Security & Safety Coordinator in Ellis Library.
Series 3. - C:0/45/7 (A19-10)
This Series contains pieces of the columns of Academic Hall, (ca. 1840). The five pieces of stone were among those removed during preventative maintenance of the Columns, including work on the volutes, during 2017.
Note to Researcher: The five pieces of stone were selected from the debris collected during the project by the Planning, Design and Construction Department of Campus Facilities with the hope of providing a sample of stone types as well as evidence of previous repair techniques.
Series 4. - C:0/45/9 (A22-37)
This Series contains a piece of architectural masonry from Memorial Tower, (ca. 1920s). The masonry piece is a finial from one of the four pinnacles running along the north side of the tower between the corner spires. The dimensions of the finial are roughly 11 inches x 9 inches x 14 inches.
(1 c.f., Ellis)
Note to Archivist: The finial was received from Heiddi Davis, Director of Capital Planning and Strategic Space Utilization in the University's Division of Finance. Correspondence in the donation file outlines the possiblities of whether this finial is from the original construction in the 1920s.
Restrictions Note: The Archives of the University of Missouri-Columbia is required by law and Board of Curator's policy to restrict access to some files and information. Student records are held as confidential under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and by University policy. Faculty promotion and tenure records and Academic Personnel files are restricted for 75 years, or the lifetime of the individual. All grievance, disciplinary, and medical records are treated as confidential files. Consultations with legal counsel, both in-house and external, are protected by the attorney/client privilege and will not be released.
Search our Holdings