Record Group: 17 C
Scope and Content Note
This Sub-Record Group contains printed and duplicated records created or received by the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine's Department of Pathobiology as well as a laboratory guide from the Diagnostic Laboratory (1968-1988).
Coursework in Veterinary Medicine has been offered at the University of Missouri-Columbia since 1872 but it wasn't until after WWII that the 63rd General Assembly finally appropriated funds for a "School of Veterinary Science." Faculty and course offerings were rapidly expanded and the departments of Anatomy, Bacteriology, Physiology, Pathology, and Surgery and Medicine were formed. Dr. Aaron H. Groth was named the first director of the School in the fall of 1949 with formal recognition of the School following that December. The Board of Curators named Groth Dean, in April of 1950, but the School remained administratively under the College of Agriculture until 1958 when it was granted autonomy. The name of the school was changed to College of Veterinary Medicine in 1975.
Twenty six students graduated in that first class of 1950. Class size remained at the 30 student level until 1965 when federal incentives permitted the expansion to 60 students. A national shortage of veterinarians in 1976 boosted class size temporarily to 76 students. The Class of 2000 (marking the 50th Anniversary of the College) was composed of 64 graduates.
The original departments and offerings of the College have shifted over the years, reflecting the growth and development of the profession. The department of Anatomy and Physiology combined in 1974 and was renamed Veterinary Biomedical Sciences in 1985. The Departments of Microbiology and Pathology were combined in 1996 to become Veterinary Pathobiology. These departments, along with the Veterinary Medical Diagnostics Laboratory and Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, represent the current College of Veterinary Medicine. In addition to the professional programs, the College offers many graduate programs, including the Laboratory Animal Medicine Area Program and provides assistance for Veterinary Medical Extension and Continuing Education.
Sources: Board of Curators Minutes, UW:2/1/6, Roll #3; Veterinary Medical Review, Special Edition 1996, College of Veterinary Medicine 50 Years of Excellence, C:30/17/1; A Pictorial Review, Vol. 15, No. 1; Veterinary Medicine, 1972-1968, by Aaron H. Groth, C:30/17/1.
Series 1 - C:17/15/1 (A01-99)
Series 2 - C:17/15/2 (A01-125)
Series 3. - C:17/15/3 (A20-07)
Restrictions Note: The Archives of the University of Missouri-Columbia is required by law and Board of Curator's policy to restrict access to some files and information. Student records are held as confidential under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 and by University policy. Faculty promotion and tenure records and Academic Personnel files are restricted for 75 years, or the lifetime of the individual. All grievance, disciplinary, and medical records are treated as confidential files. Consultations with legal counsel, both in-house and external, are protected by the attorney/client privilege and will not be released.
Copyright © Curators of the University of Missouri 1997 - 2001
Published by: University Archives muarchives.missouri.edu/
Prepared by LJ Divine: 07 June 2001
Revised: 19 January 2007
An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.
DMCA and other copyright information.