spacerspacerHeader graphic

~ Deans and Faculty ~

Joseph Granville Norwood

Joseph Norwood

Courtesy of University Archives


Formerly a Geologist for the state of Illinois, Norwood came to the University in 1860. Initially appointed Professor of Natural Philosophy and Natural Science, his career took a turn as he later became the first dean of the Medical School (1872-1880). His devotion to the University was best demonstrated during the Civil War. During the Federal occupation of the University in 1862, Norwood diligently visited the occupied buildings every day to protect University property. Norwood was an important figure for the whole University system. Norwood Hall was built January 12, 1904 in Rolla, Missouri as the main building for the School of Mines and Metallurgy.

Joseph Norwood's early career was much different from the career that he had later in life. After his graduation from high school, his father determined that he wanted Joseph to be a physician, but Joseph wanted to be a printer of newspapers. This conflict was quickly settled, and Joseph set out on his newspaper-printing career. This career lasted for 5 years and failed miserably. Norwood enrolled in medical school and opened his own practice in 1835. His portrait is located on the seventh floor of Lewis Hall, in the University Archives.

Luther Defoe

Luther Defoe first came to the University as a student, graduating in 1881. In 1891, he joined the faculty and remained on staff until 1932, when he retired as Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering. He served in other capacities during his time at the University. Defoe was chairman of the Disciplinary Committee from 1907-1925 and became known as "Daddy" Defoe, because of his affinity for the student population. During this time he was also the unofficial Dean of Men.

Luther Defoe's memory was honored by the University in the naming of a men's dormitory, Defoe Hall. He is one of only three men who have lay in state at Jesse Hall; the others were Richard Jesse and Walter Williams. This painting of Luther Defoe is currently located on the seventh floor of Lewis Hall in the University Archives.

Luther Defoe

Courtesy of University Archives


Eva Johnston

Eva Johnston

Courtesy of University Archives


Eva Johnston graduated from the University in 1892. She joined the faculty in 1899 as an Associate Professor of Latin and remained with the University until her retirement in 1933. During her tenure, she was a mentor for women. She was named the Advisor of Women in 1921 and the Dean of Women in 1923. Historical documents suggest that while Dean of Women, she had a role in the formulation of the rules of Student Government that are still in use today; although, her precise contributions were not listed.

Eva Johnston holds a special place in the history of the University. Her contributions to the University were honored in 1951 when Women's Hall A was renamed Johnston Hall. It remains today as one of only half-a-dozen buildings named in honor of women on this campus. She attended the University when there were no women's dormitories, only those provided for men. She was a student and a professor at the University during a time in which the United States was trying to determine the role of women in society. Her accomplishments can only be looked upon as trend setting.

A group of Johnston's friends donated her portrait, painted by Warren Ludwig, to the University in 1926. It is currently located on the seventh floor of Lewis Hall in the University Archives.

John Pickard

John Pickard, a native of New England, came to the University in 1892 as a Professor of Greek. During his tenure at the University, which lasted approximately forty years, he was named chair of the newly formed Department of Classical Archaeology and History of Art.

Besides his direction of the newly created department, Pickard also took a leading role in the drive to build a facility for student activities. It was his idea to create Memorial Union, which would not only become a center of student activity but would also honor the memory of those men who had died during World War I. He was named chair of the Student-Faculty committee, which endeavored to secure donations from the community for the building of this memorial.

John Pickard was honored by the University when it remodeled the old Chemistry building and created the Museum of Art and Archaeology, naming the building for him. There are two portraits of Pickard located in Pickard Hall. One is prominently on display on the first floor of the Museum; a second portrait is located in the offices of the Department of Art History and Archaeology. The portrait shown here is the one located within these offices.

John Pickard

Courtesy of the Department of Art History & Archaeology


William Bradshaw

William Bradshaw

Courtesy of University Archives


William Bradshaw graduated from the University in 1917. He rejoined the University in 1925 as a student assistant in the Political Science Department. In 1927, he was appointed Professor of Political Science and Public Law. Less than twenty years later, he was named Dean of the School of Business and Public Administration. He served the longest tenure as Dean, retiring from the University in 1961.

Dean Bradshaw greatly enhanced the reputation of the School of Business. In 1951, he began advocating for more classroom space. In 1959, the Business and Public Administration building was constructed and the School of Business moved, from what is today the Sociology Building. Bradshaw also helped to create the Business School's first Bureau of Research, which has expanded greatly since its inception.

J. Francis Westoff painted the portrait of William Bradshaw and Alpha Kappa Psi donated it to the University. It is currently located on the 7th floor of Lewis Hall in the University Archives.

Click here to view Curators
Curators
Click here to view Deans and Faculty
Deans and Faculty
Click here to view Presidents
Presidents
Click here to view Contributors
Contributors


MU Homepage Archives Homepage Top of the Page Send us E-Mail

Copyright © Curators of the University of Missouri 1997 - 2001
Published by: University Archives muarchives.missouri.edu/
Prepared by Blain Cerney: November 2001
Revised: 22 January 2007
URL: http://muarchives.missouri.edu/portrait2.html

An equal opportunity/access/affirmative action/pro-disabled and veteran employer.
DMCA and other copyright information.